Toddler Time - Orange!

This was week two of my color series! Last week we read about the color red, this week we're doing orange! Last week was the first of this color series. Hopefully it works well.

Stories We Shared:
Due to a couple of factors we only read one story today. Everyone had so much energy that I focused on more movement, and I had no one to cover the Children's Desk so I had to cut Toddler Time short today.
We read Orange, Pear, Apple, Bear by Emily Gravett today. It's a nice short book with fun illustrations. It worked perfectly for my distracted group today.

Flannels We Shared:
Again this week we did the Little Bird flannel from last week. We'll be repeating this one for the next few weeks. (To see my flannel for this one check out the link above.) Little Bird is a great color learning rhyme.
     Little Bird
     Little Bird you've flown so far,
     And now it's time to rest.
     Fly back and sleep in your
        RED nest!
     Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple

I also wanted a flannel STORY this week. I went looking for either a good flannel story of The Carrot Seed (not my favorite because the book is teeny) or a version of The Turnip. I ended up finding an awesome version from an old Flannel Friday post by Miss Mary Liberry talking about the story The Great Big Turnip from The Bilingual Book of Rhymes, Songs, Stories, and Fingerplays. It's  a shorter story with only 4 animals, so kept the attention of my toddlers. Little Bear discovers something orange (in the original purple) in the ground and wants to take it to Momma Bear. She gets help from Squirrel, Skunk, and Mouse and they bring it to Momma Bear who identifies the veggie and makes soup!
I'd like to send a HUGE shout out to the wonderful librarians at the Scarborough Public Library for scanning the story and emailing it to me the day before my program! They totally made my day.

Rhymes We Shared:
Since I'm focusing on a lot of repetition for this color series we again sung Shake Your Shaker by Jbrary. It's fun, it's easy to sing, and it's shakers! Win all around.
Shake Your Shaker
     Tune: London Bridge
     Shake your shaker in the air
     Shake it here, shake it there
     Shake your shaker in the air
     Shake your shaker

     Shake it up and shake it down
     Shake your shaker on the ground
     Shake it up and shake it down
     Shake your shaker

We also sung Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and danced with our scarves to De Colores by Raffi again today. Both are always a hit.

Early Literacy Tips We Shared:
Again, since I'm doing repetition for this series my tips were repeated from last week.

  • Research shows that repetition helps young children form and maintain connections in their brain and nervous systems. 
  • Color and shape are among the first concepts babies learn. Babies can begin to associate words with objects and people as early as 6 months. Parents who identify the color of objects and frequently repeat this concept will find that their toddlers will start to recognize color names quickly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Usage Rights

DesignBlog BloggerTheme comes under a Creative Commons License.This template is free of charge to create a personal blog.You can make changes to the templates to suit your needs.But You must keep the footer links Intact.